How Big Does the Equipment Need to be for a Practical Assessment?Anyone who wants to be an operator of earthmoving equipment is required to undergo a practical assessment. This is to verify the competency of the machine you want to be an operator of.

Now, I know the next big question that might be spiraling in your mind that is how big the earthmoving machine needs to be for a practical assessment.

Under the current Work Health and Safety Act of 2011 of Australia, the equipment to be used for the assessment can be of any capacity or size. And if you want to earn a licence, you need to prove your competency. This is a new rule which is no longer similar to the previous version of the act that enacted back in 2008 where if a piece of earthmoving equipment is smaller than 2-litre, an operator doesn’t have to have a ticket.

So if someone tells you that you have to take the assessment on the same size and capacity of the machine you want to earn a ticket for and you don’t need proof of competency, tell them about the new legislation than be found on this



RTOs Can Conduct the Assessment on the Machine They Have in their Facility

If you decided to test through an RTO (registered training organisation), practical assessment last about 1-2 hour at their simulated job site. While RTO can also conduct an assessment for groups of operators to help site managers (also called PCBUs) to absolve them from their responsibilities of making sure their workers are competent under the new Work Health and Safety Act 2011.

Probably, the main reason why would you want to be assessed by an RTO is the fact they have a number of machines to choose from. You can select the size and capacity of the equipment you want to be tested for.

If such an option isn’t available, then the RTO can make the decision of what equipment is best suited for your skill level.



Know the Competency Units You Need for the Job

There are a number of competency units you can earn as a heavy machine operator in Australia, depending on the type of work environment you will be working in and the kind of machine you will be driving.

A unit of competency is simply defined as the knowledge and skills the operator must have to execute a job. For operators of earthmoving machines, there are units for excavator, Bobcat/skid steer, roller, backhoe, front-end loader, and the list goes on and on. See this list

Earning a unit of competency is like applying for a driver’s licence. You have to prove your skills by undertaking a practical assessment to determine if it safe to give you an operator ticket/licence.

Are You Already a Holder of Ticket of Licence?

You may need to take verification of competency (VOC) in order to prove your skills. This is important if you are seeking employment. Site managers may also ask their operators to take the competency test in order to comply with the current legislation.

In doing so, you have to contact a registered training organisation nearest to you. If you took the test and deemed competent to operate the machine you want to have a ticket for, you will be issued with a nationally recognized Statement of Attainment.

It takes time and preparation to pass the VOC test. If you’re a seasoned operator, you may not have a hard time passing this, however, that doesn’t mean you don’t have to prepare. There are a lot of things that may have changed since you’ve taken your last testing, so it is important to stay current to pass the test.



To Make a Conclusion

The earthmoving machine that needs to be for practical assessment can be in any size and capacity. But they should be matched with the skill level you have. RTOs can decide on what machine they use for the testing.

Take time and effort to pass the practical assessment, it will earn you a ticket/licence. It makes the process if starting a job as an operator much easier.

We wish you good luck in your chosen career!