The skid steer equipment is one of the most versatile earthmoving equipment used for many tasks other than digging. Due to the various attachments available for a, it can be used for many different operations, not just for private purposes but for commercial also.
Since there is a comprehensive scope of usability and sizes for s, you might need to look forward to an expert who can get work done most safely and efficiently. In Australia, you do not need a licence to operate for personal and noncommercial use.
However, whether you are renting one for personal use, you have to know the safety measures or have experience as a competent prior.
But when if you want to have a professional career as an, there are so many opportunities out there. People or field project managers will always look for someone who has a certification of Competency and recognition of prior learning. Many training centers offer such compliances along with both theoretical and particle support.
If you are new to this whole process of becoming a Bobcat or skid steer with official recognition, then you should understand the following steps:
- Before enrolling in the course, one must know the eligibility criteria. First and foremost, the requirements are that you be at least 16 years old so that once you are 18, you can apply for s. You must have sufficient command of the English language and must pass a numeracy test. During the enrollment, identification and result of language proficiency must be with you.
- Find a Registered Training Organization (RTO) close to your area. RTO is the training school or center that offers technical and practical training regarding earthmoving equipment. There are many RTO that can train you to become registered under the Australian Federal Government EPC. Find the one nearest to you here.
- Attend the theoretical lectures. It may take few hours of sit and listen to the critical concepts and safety measures for the operation of this equipment. All the things that you will learn, on-ground or off-ground, are explained in these lectures.
- Complete the credits hours and practical exercises. The foremost part of attending such courses is to understand and practice the fieldwork. Usually, the RTO has mimicked the on-site scenarios to make their pupil practice their skills. The instructor acts as a project manager and assigns a set of tasks for you to finish with safety and accuracy. Moreover, logging in your practical hours serves as proof of Competency.
- Receive a nationally recognized certificate of competency. Here it would be best if you go through an assessment by the RTO. You will be given scenarios to work upon. If your performance is satisfactory, you will receive a certificate of competency as a Bobcar or skid steer operator.
Competency Units for Bobcat or Skid Steer Operator
In Australia, the training is recognized as RIIMPO318F CONDUCT CIVIL CONSTRUCTION LOADER OPERATIONS. The unit of Competency is according to the rules of RII30815 Certificate III in Civil Construction (Plant Operations). Following are the responsibilities that fall under RII30815 as an :
- Moving earth and dirt
- Moving heavy equipment or material on construction site
- Site clean-up
- Preparing turfs
- Road sweeping
- Spreading materials
Training Course Outlines
Now that you have understood the importance of an RTO for becoming a Bobcar or skid steer operator , it also crucial to know what to look for in the course. A course must cover the significant parts of theory and practical. Here is a brief idea of the things you will be learning in the training course:
Sometimes training centers conduct assessments to prove the proficiency or sufficient knowledge in their students' English language and numeral. If a student is weak in communication, both verbal and written, then the training center tries to help the student.
- Identifying the risks on the construction sites.
- Interpreting the blueprints of the project, construction site, and other documentation
- Planning and maintaining the workflow
- The basic knowledge about, along with all essential equipment and attachments.
- Calculating hazards and risks on the construction sites and plan to avoid
- Practice the safety measures for everyone
- Selecting the right Personal protective equipment
- Maintenance of equipment
- Inspection of equipment
- Selection and use of attachments
- Bearing all the environmental conditions
The duration of the course may vary from 1 day to weekly classes. Each training center has its schedule for both beginners and people with experience. The assessment is a must to attend for all the trainees since it is their licence to many fieldwork opportunities.
VOC and RPL for Experienced Candidate
The candidate who has been already working as an operator can also avail this opportunity of official certification. To apply for a trainee course, they must have a certificate of Competency, also known as VOC.
Usually, VOC is conducted for the candidate to meet the requirement provided by WHS. VOC shows that candidate has knowledge of the equipment and has good communication skills as a field worker. RTO often asks for a VOC during the enrollment as well.
If the experienced candidate has professional skills and learning about earthmoving equipment, they can apply for recognition of prior learning (RPL). The RTO will consider and assess the candidate accordingly.
Eligibility Criteria for Working as a Bobcat or Skid Steer Operator
Even if you have successfully earned your certification and recognition after the training, there are few criteria that you must fulfill to prove your Competency.
- Age must be 18 or above
- Must be physically fit and should have no eyesight issues.
- Must have Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Must have construction induction training (CIC) registered under Australian Federal Government
- In case of employment, you must have a Risk Work Licence
- Evidence of working on the construction in the form of a recommendation letter or VOC (For experienced s)
Characteristics of a good operator include Competency and the ability to tackle hazards and risk. s must ensure the safety of the staff around them at the construction site or in the public areas. Therefore, control over the equipment is crucial. Moreover, the uses of attachments for the required tasks are also essential, along with the communication with their supervisors or a project manager of the field. Many project managers look for opetators with good communication skills and knowledge to work as a team.
Working with a Bobcat or skid steer is not as easy as driving a car. Indeed, you need to understand how it works and how to protect the people around you. Therefore, many RTO training candidates become responsible and experienced s to handle such heavy equipment.
Getting training under professionals and earning recognition as a Professional has a tremendous impact on the career even though you have experience. A certification or statement of attainment will help you understand and work with the equipment in many scenarios and allow you to serve the community in the best way possible. Indeed, Bobcat equipment can be used in many ways, and a knowledge can make that happen.