Remember, heavy equipment training isn’t just important, it is vital for someone who wants to get into this industry.
If you received the necessary training, you are more competent to perform the job safely. The training will give you a greater understanding of the various aspects of getting into this career.
How can you get trained? By enrolling in a course offered by a heavy equipment operator school in Maine. The school will help you help gain the confidence and attain the education to become a skilled worker.
If you are searching for a school where you can take the course from, here are they:
- International Union of Operating Engineers - IUOE Local 4
Mechanics Hall, 519 Congress Street, 2nd Floor
Portland, ME 04101; Tel: 207-426-9910
- Southern Maine Community College
South Portland Campus:
2 Fort Road, South Portland, Maine 04106
For more information call 207-741-5500
29 Sewall Street, Brunswick, Maine 04011
For more information call 207-844-2102
- Eastern Maine Community College
354 Hogan Road, Bangor, Maine
Phone: (207) 974-4600; 1-800-286-9357
- Northern Maine Community College
33 Edgemont Dr, Presque Isle, ME 04769
- Westbrook Regional Vocational Center
125 Stroudwater St., Westbrook, ME 04092
Phone: (207)854 0820; Fax: (207)854 0822
- Washington County Community College
One College Drive, Calais, ME 04619
Tips in Choosing a Heavy Equipment Training School Where You Want to Enroll
The tuition is taking a heavy equipment program is costly, if you commit a mistake in choosing a school where you want to take the program from, you won’t get much quality education. It is a big decision to make. How then do you select a training school that satisfies your needs? Here are some of the tips you to bear in mind:
- Find the school with extensive hands-on learning – there is not a much better approach to learn heavy equipment operation than to be in the field and doing it yourself. You may ask the school about the curriculum to know how much time you will spend in the practical training. The lengthier it will be, the better for you to absorb the practical experience.
- Check the training school’s accreditation and credentials – You may be asking if the school’s accreditation and credential are important in choosing the right one since not all schools chosen do not have this. In as much as possible, find the one that has such accreditation to ensure that they have undergone the licensure of the local government. You have the confidence in paying the tuition knowing you will get a quality education.
- Know the training curriculum – as a student wanting to get enrolled in the training program, one of the things you want to look at is what comprises the curriculum and if the training school has a good background in the delivery of heavy equipment courses. You have to determine that their curriculums are also updated and in line with the current government standard.
- Choose the training school that has modern heavy equipment – heavy equipment gets outdated after just several years, though they still function as the way they used to be, the technology may be years behind already. If you could find a school that offers heavy equipment training in modern pieces of heavy equipment, that would be beneficial.
- Visit the training facilities – now that you have prior ideas on the criteria in choosing the best heavy equipment training school in Maine and you have narrowed down your selections to just 2 or 3 choices, take time to visit the facilities of the training school. By visiting, you will personally see the situation of the training facilities and know if the heavy equipment is modern, advanced and in tip-top shape. Also, ask permission if you could sit in the class get a feel of being a student and listen to the instructor. There’s no better way to get first-hand experience than visiting the facilities in person. So make sure you are comfortable with your final decision.
- Offers flexible payment option – the reality of taking heavy equipment training is that it is expensive. Talk to the school about payment options you can avail and financial aid they can give you. The school may help you in getting loans to pay for the tuition; the school may even full scholarship.
- Gives employment assistance – did you know that the heavy equipment training school is also where employers recruit manpower? Yes, really. The school maintains a registry of contractors and employers. After graduating from the program, you could be referred by the school to an employer for employment.
How to Become a Heavy Equipment Operator in the State of Maine
- Decide if this career wants you to pursue – picking the right career may seem overwhelming, with hundreds to choose from; choosing the right career path can be daunting. Make up your mind first if being a heavy equipment operator is the job you want.
- Complete the requirements – the requirements you need to have/be are: be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma, in some occasions, you may need a commercial driver’s license (CDL) to operate heavy vehicles and dump trucks on the public roads, you need to have a certification/licensure such as NCCER or NCCCO, and of course, a heavy equipment operator certificate which you can achieve by completing a training program from school as discussed in step 3.
- Take the heavy equipment training course – whether you are a complete novice or an experienced individual, taking the training is the route to take to advance your skills and knowledge. You can do it by enrolling in a course offered by a technical school or community college in your area. We’ve listed down those schools, just select the state where you are situated on the menu on the right or bottom of this page, there you’ll find the school directory. Complete the training and you will then be guaranteed to receive your certificate.
- Take the apprenticeship program or on-the-job training – you can apply for an apprenticeship program in the trade union. In Maine, you apply at IUOE Local 4, here’s the link to their program. The apprenticeship usually lasts about 2 to 3 years giving you extensive practical knowledge. Being an apprentice, you have the chance to earn a living while you are learning the skills.
- Get employed as a heavy equipment operator – Finally, after achieving the certificate, completing the apprenticeship and accomplishing the certifications, you are prepared to get a job. You can comb the community and other nearby areas to look for a job. Search the job board and local job listings. If you are lucky enough the union where you complete the apprenticeship program or even the school where you graduated from can help you land a job. They have a database of contractors and companies looking for qualified operators like you.
Application of Certified Logging Professional (CLP) Certification
If you want to become a heavy equipment operator, In Maine, the logging industry has many vacant positions waiting to be filled.
You need Certified Logging Professional (CLP) certification if you want to work in the logging industry. The CLP program is aimed at providing individuals with safe and productive work practices.
To get CLP certified, here are the requirements that you need:
- Present high school diploma or transcript, GED certificate is also acceptable
- Show proof of immunization record to verify that you’ve had such vaccination for MMR, Diphtheria/Tetanus in the past 10 years
- For screening of applicant, a personal interview may be conducted
review of your driving record
- You may undergo a background check and substance abuse test
- Physical ability testing
To take the CLP training, you must attend a 4-day workshop and pass the workplace performance evaluation.
The first 3 days of the training encompasses the classroom training that covers the first aid/CPR, forest management, wood harvesting, logging safety rules, directional felling, introduction to business and many other topics that may be deemed necessary. The fourth and last day of the program is dedicated to on-site training such as the actual tree cutting using a game of logging technique.
To take the certification test, the evaluator will come to your actual worksite to conduct an interview and observe your actual performance. The evaluator will find out if you are sticking to the principles you’ve learned in the training.
You have to make sure you satisfy the evaluator with your work performance. He will recommend your certification to the CLP Board of Directors, the decision-making body. The board will determine your fate.
If you are unsuccessful on the first try, you can request another interview and evaluation until you meet the CLP qualification standard.
To know what CLP certification category you can apply to, follow this link.
Salary of Heavy Equipment Operators Working in Maine
How much salary you can receive if you are working in Maine? According to the latest October 29, 2021 survey of Salary.com, an operator who is working in this state can expect an average salary of $64,216.
But other factors also affect how much you can make such as the city or area you are working in, your length of experience, the education and certificate you have attained, and extra skills you can put into your job.
Here are the cities and towns of Maine that offer the best wage:
|Biddeford Pool||$64,836||New Gloucester||$64,614|
If you will work in the neighboring state of New Hampshire, you could make a much better salary.
To find out more about the salary of each city in Maine, check this page.
Contacting the Relevant Authorities
State of Maine Department of Transportation
Civil Rights Office
State House Station #16 Augusta, ME 04333-0016
Telephone: (207) 624-3036; Fax: (207) 624-3021
Professional Logging Contractors
110 Sewall St, Augusta, ME 04332
Phone: +1 207-688-8195
To Summarize This
Heavy equipment operators can be seen doing work in the construction sites, on the farm, in the mines, road repairs, and maintenance. They are all around us. They are making a good living for the family.
The employment outlook is good. The demand for this trade is high and continuous. It is expected to have exponential growth in the next coming years and even decades because the construction industry is booming and infrastructure projects are expanding. In Maine, you most like to find a job in the logging industry.
If you are one of the thousands of individuals who want to get into this career, you have to have the requirements such as training and certifications. You can attain these by enrolling in a program given by a heavy equipment operator school in Maine.
The school will teach and educate you on many different aspects you have to know.